Thursday, June 11, 2009

Traffic School = Sucks

I had to attend traffic school today and it was as uncerimonious as I remembered it to be. I think next time I'll just choose to either do it from home by ordering the video or just blow it off altogether and take the hit on my insurance. But, I take pride in the fact that I "graduated" with honors (Cum Laude, thank you very much).

Nothing makes you feel like a dirty rotten scoundrel quite like traffic school. I suppose alcohol class might suck worse but I haven't had that privledge and I hope I never do. I only know that the only time I felt like such a societal bottom feeder was when I had to go to city hall to actually pay my ticket. I had to shower just get the stink off of that place. The people that populate city hall on a daily basis looking to resolve their debt to society are a rather scandilous bunch to say the least - certainly not people I'd want to rub shoulders with frequently - ever really.

But back to traffic school...

I suspect the majority of people that were in attendence (39 of us) where there as a result of speeding. However, the directive is no doubt to subject attendees to a program seemingly more fit for a felon. I understand the reasoning, the concept and the scare tactics - it just sucks.

The videos that you have to watch are very graphic and unsettling. They are graphic re-enactments of wrecks that have to do with not wearing a seatbelt, speeding or driving under the influence. It basically made me want to (a.) get a Hans device and a helmet (b.) drive 15 miles per hour and (c.) never have a drink and get behind the wheel in the same week, let alone day - not a bad thing actually.

If the government made 16-year olds take this course BEFORE going to get their permit, I would venture to say that a number of kids would say, "you know what, I'm gonna sit this year out and reapply at a later date." Hell, it almost me made turn in my license afterward. It makes me cringe to think that one day I will have to entrust my kids with the responsibility of driving. I think I'm going to get them a bus.

Nonetheless, I think for the foreseeable future I'm going to take a more conservative approach to driving. Not that I was ever wreckless necessarily but being that the consequences of taking certain chances are rather fresh in my mind after sitting through several hours of traffic school is a genuinely scary reality. I guess me walking away with that mentality makes the program effective and a good reality check for my otherwise invincible self (joking).

One other thing that it was good for is that it made me realize that my license has been expired for the past 10 days. Since I was already at the government licensing division it made it very easy for me to walk down the hall and get it renewed - my old license didn't look much like me anymore anyway - less hair now!

So, now that I have paid my debt to society, renewed my license and adopted a more responsible approach to driving, I can say that I'm back in good standing with the state and, theoretically, a better person. Self-esteem needs a little repair but that should come back in due time.

Now, I just need to go hop in the shower and wash off the "dirt-ball" label I left traffic school with.

No comments:

Post a Comment